Saturday, August 20, 2016

Aug 20th 2016 - Mauritius - day 4


Yesterday was gorgeous.  What a beautiful sunny day.  I took some pictures of the kiting conditions.  Because of the waist deep water there are no waves or even chop to speak of.  That means this places has a huge amount of flat water for kiting, as well as the world class waves such as One Eye.  The wind will pull a kiter down the break, to the left, perfectly.

I took some pictures of the flat water and some people kiting and taking lessons about 1 mile off shore.



We  also walked up the street and I found the ideal launching location for me.  It’s less than 5 minutes away.  I can launch there when the wind is lighter.  When it fills in, or if I want to drift launch (of if Becky will wade offshore with me a bit…maybe 100m) I can easily launch from directly in front of our place.



We also went and had a lovely but expensive meal down the street.  By expensive, the main course was about $14 USD.  So, compared to the last 8 months in Asia, that is an arm and a leg for just a meal.  Since we are on the "travel as long as we can budget” it looks like I will be cooking most meals.

That being said, for lunch today, we just purchased food from a beach vendor across the street.  We had one roti with a couple different sauces mixed inside.  We also had a curry chicken, a chicken liver dish that was spicy (only I like liver, but it was very tasty for me), and a creole seasoned octopus.  We also got a cabbage and carrot braised salad and 3 samosas that Avy joined us in eating.  All this for $10 USD.  So, as I told the lady who runs it, Madame Rose, she will be seeing me fairly often.


Other than that we are settling in nicely.  Today, after having explored this week, we will be telling the landlord that we want to chill here until we leave Nov 7th.  It definitely seems we found a great place, awesome location, and by far the best value.  Most other people stay in La Gaulette and need a car to get to the kiting location, whereas we can simply kite from in front of our place.  I also put feelers out…so hopefully we will get a visitor or two from the Pacific Northwest kiting crew while we are here.  Avy is really hoping “Uncle Jeffro” comes to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment