Monday, March 22, 2010

La Ventana - Day 9 (recap) fishing baby! And our final pizza bash at Glen's

OK, so I have really slacked on finishing this trip up!  Good thing I was on the last full day anyways, and who really cares about the travel day taking the plane home?  No one does...that's who!   So, I will finish up by telling you all about the fishing trip.

So, as mentioned Scotty, Duncan, Steve Anderson, Becky and I are all headed out in a fishing boat with our Capitan named Lola.  Here is a picture of our capitan with Duncan and I both manning the fishing poles.


Anyways, it takes a bit of riding to get to our destination. On the way there we pass many elaborate vacation houses own by rich people.  This one, in the next picture below, was still being built. There was a school buss parked out front that was obviously how they got so many workers to the job site every day.



Shortly after passing this house we come to a bay, only to watch a local land a nice mahi-mahi.  We drive the boat over near him and spend $20 bucks on some bait fish.  Bait fish for the larger game fish we want to catch are about 7-14 inch long needle fish.


mahi mahi

Our plans are to fish for Dog Snapper, so we had to a spot where a guy is already chumming for the Dog Snapper.  We even see a few of them surface to eat the chumm.

The poles get rigged and Scotty and Steve start fishing.  After 30 minutes or so, Duncan takes Steve's pole.  After Scotty and Duncan fish it up for a while....nothing.  No action what-so-ever...that is, until they hand me the pole. 

Within 3 minutes of having the pole in hand I get a bite, I set the hook, and BAMM....I got a 70 lbs Dog Snapper on.  This is when everything happens real quick like.   The fish starts to run, I clamp down with my thumb on the spool...... the capitan goes to spin the boat around real quick...I take a dive and smash my face into the side of the boat...seconds later the Dog Snapper gets down under some rocks and breaks the line off. 

Ok. so through all that I never let go of the pole.  In fact, I didn't even put my hands out as I fell.  I was taught at a young age "protect your fishing pole and / or gun when you fall"...I did just that and bruised my face in the process.  I also burned the living crap out of my thumb!

Anyways, the capitan tells us the hard part about fishing these Dog Snapper is that they get down very fast and run up into the rock crevaces.  Sucess rate is only about 1 in 10 fish hooked are actually landed.

Under water is much like the shoreline, which you can see gives the fish a ton of places to hide, but to also a place to break the fishing line off on.  You can see the shelving that exist underwater in this video of the shoreline:


 

While we are fishing, Becky puts the flip, that is in an underwater housing, into the water to film what is under the boat.   It is really fun to see all of the aquatic life just going along its business beneath us. 










We spend the day fishing, and lose a ton of bait, but no one gets any closer than I do to landing a fish in the boat.   Bunner, but not a complete bust. 

We did get to see two Humpback Whales breach.  I turn on the HD Flip to try and catch them when they come up again, and while I did not happen to catch the whales on film, I do catch a stingray jumping.  You can see it in the following vid at around 1:18.


 

So, at the end of the day we head back empty handed, but at least we got to drink a bunch of beer and have a good time hanging with friends.  Another thing to be thankful for was that we were not around to hear everyone complain all day that there was no wind ;)  At least we caught a bunch of beer!



You can see my burnt thumb in this video
 

Becky holds the only real actio of the day's fishing trip

When we got back, Becky took this cool picture of a dead lobster on the beach.



After that we got ready, and around 7 or 8pm we piled into a truck and headed down to Glen's for our final pizza bash.


Oops, the flash is off, let's do that again!


We have a ton of fun. 

Becky hangs with Karol and Katie for a picture.


At one point, towards the end of the night, I even crawl up to the crows nest with a few buddies...mind you a little drunk....and I am sure scared Becky a bit.


"hangin out" in La Ventana in Glen's crows nest

And so that is it...the final day of our trip.  Here is a final picture of a bunch of us after getting our luggage in Seattle.  See you pskiter homies on the water!



No comments:

Post a Comment