Thursday, October 6, 2011

Summmer / Fall recap (part 1) [cold weather has returned] :(

Yes indeed.  The cold is here, and it is taking all of my will to keep from shedding a tear.  Did we even get a summer here in the Puget Sound area?  That is certainly debatable.

Without dwelling on the depressing weather, I can say that I have been riding quite a bit since our August trip to Puerto Rico.

Where you ask?  Well, let's see.  I did a 5 mile downwinder at Ocean Shores in the Pacific Ocean, I spent several days in Hood River, I hit up a new spot (new for me at least) up north near Bellingham called Clayton beach,  and I even rode with a pod of porpoises at Double Bluff on Whidbey Island.

Wanna hear the details?  Ok, here it goes.

Ocean Shores:

Not long after returning from Puerto Rico some friends were all talking about heading to the coast.  High pressure had settled in over the mainland, so not much air was moving around.  This usually means the only place to get some wind is at the coast.  So Becky and I head out in the morning for a 3 hr drive to Ocean Shores on the Pacific Coast of Washington.

We arrive and join a good group of 15 or so kiters that all made the trip from Seattle.

After loading all of our gear into the back of one truck and consolidating all of us kiters into different cars, at the same time making sure to leave a few cars at the finish line, we drive upwind about 5 miles to pump up and begin the downwind excursion.


Once we are all pumped up and suited up, small groups take off every few minutes and head downwind.  I am one of the last to hit the water, as I am waiting for Becky.  Her and another gal are both giving it their best shot at riding in the open Ocean for the first time.  The other gal ends up crashing and rolling her kite in the surf within just a few minutes.  And while Becky gives it her best shot, she is not able to get out past the surf.

No mind you, the surf is a good 6-8 ft crashing in.  Sets are pretty close together, so you have to literally pick a line and charge out. It is pretty hard to do actually and even I get tossed around a bit.  The key is to just let the wave hit you while concentrating on keeping the kite high at all costs.  As you know, a kite in the surf can easily get a panel blown out.

I might also mention that the wind is uber light.  A 15m would be more appropriate than my 13m, although many of the guys downwind are making it work...but just barely.

I wait around while Becky is packing up by playing in the shallows with my skim board.....and then the wind picks up a few knots.  Even though I am the last guy on shore, and I can not even see any kites downwind, I decide this is my chance.  I run in, grab the twin tip, and charge out by myself.

I might also mention here that kiting the ocean surf by oneself is probably not the smartest thing I could do...but it is nice outside, sun shining, warm wind...I just can't help myself.

I charge downwind as fast as possible.  In fact, I am almost riding straight downwind.  The salmon are running and so I see seals and sea lions everywhere.  It is somewhat unnerving when they splash or jump out of the water right next to me...especially since I am riding by my lonesome.

After about 3 miles of riding, I can finally see some kites in the distance.  I continue my downwind assault.  I arrive at the finish line right as the final kiter in front of me was getting off the water.

Guess what?  I beat Becky back.  She thought for sure she would be waiting for me after driving back...but nope, I was standing around drinking beer with the guys when she arrived.

How fast did I make it?  Around 5 miles in under 15 minutes.  Not bad eh?

Needless to say the rest of the guys jump in cars to head back up and do it again.  I wait around, 1) because a kiter somehow was lost along the way (no I didn't see him walking but I was mobbing) and 2) I was just pretty dang tired from my 15 minute dash downwind.

After about 1 hour the others start to arrive and I took a few more pictures of my buddies finishing their ride in the sunset.  It made quite a picturesque scene.  I wish I had a better camera!!!








Afterwards, we all head into Ocean Shores to have a few beers, margaritas, chips, salsa, and if you haven't guessed by now, some scrumptious Mexican food to end the day.

Hood River:
labor day weekend...... stay tuned... recap coming soon

No comments:

Post a Comment