Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Summmer / Fall recap (part 3) - Clayton Beach

On the 10th of September, and what was to be the last decent northerly of the season, Becky and I picked up my buddy K.C., and headed up north to the Bellingham area. 
Plans were to hit up Hunter.  Halfway on the 1 1/2 hr drive north we got word that the wind hadn't filled in at Hunter, and that we should drive another 15 minutes north to the state park.  Once there we quickly found the trail-head to walk to Clayton Beach.

The walk is awesome, and is in fact a downward hike via a well worn path through a beautiful state park.  Huge fir and cedar trees line the path.  It is a good 1/2 mile or more to the beach, but well worth the walk.  The smells and sites of the forest are always welcome, especially if it preludes a wicked good session.

K.C. and Becky following me down the path

Not too far from the desired beach we take a wrong turn, but are able to quickly rectify the problem and find the "correct" trail down to the beach.  As I walk over a small ridge I am welcomed by the sight of  a few kites up, one being Andy (owner of www.bellinghamkiteboarding.com ) tearing it up in the sun, cruising on a warm yet windy day.


Andy

So in typical fashion I rush down the hill with reckless abandon and once I hit the beach and I get my gear set up in record time. 


So yeah, like 10 minutes later I am putting on my shorty.....yes, a shorty for kiting in the Puget Sound.  OK, I will admit I wasn't thinking when I made the hike from the car to Clayton Beach with only my shorty on hand.  The full suit is in the car....oops. 

If I may explains myself, Hunter is notoriously warm because it is shallow.  Clayton is not shallow, and as such it has temps similar to Golden Gardens in Seattle....that is to say, it is freaking cold!

That isn't to say it stopped me from riding.  It just means that after the first or second body dragging session to retrieve my board, I started riding a little more carefully.  No unhooking!  The raley I missed was the cause of a 15 minute body drag.  You know the ones where you are dizzy by the time  you get your board back...usually in cold water?  So yeah, time to take it easy. Just cruising around and boosting.

I rode for a good 2 hours, in the sun, kickin it one last time in what could be considered the last day of summer....at least to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment