Friday, October 7, 2011

Summmer / Fall recap (part 2) - Hood River

That's right.  For the Labor Day weekend I packed my car up and headed down to Hood River.  A few of my kiting buddies are doing the same, so it should be a good time by all.

Wind was a little non-typical in the Gorge. In fact the wind was a easterly, meaning it was blowing from inland out to the Ocean, eat to west.  This means all the normal spots, like the world famous sandbar in downtown Hood River would not be our kiting location.

Instead we went to Rooster Rock state park.  There is a 2 mile long sandy beach that runs parallel to the Columbia River.  It makes for a great place to launch and land. 

The only down side is to get to the beach you must choose between walking a bog, getting mud up to your knees, or walking a nude beach where dudes (many who do not man-scape) walk around with their junk hanging out.  So if you are NOT in to shlongs on parade...then you may want to avoid the mud bog.  Personally I choose to walk the bog and rinse...it is more direct and certainly does not pose any potential for scaring my mind with images I would rather avoid.

When I get there on Saturday, it is starting to back off.  Easterlies tend to start in the morning and back off in the afternoon.  I got there around noon.  I rode for a good hour or so on my 13m.  Pretty over powered most of the time and I could certainly have made the 10m work.

That night we headed into Hood River for some fun.  Colleen Carol has offered up her driveway for us guys sleeping in our cars, her backyard for some guys in tents, and her living room for Devon (her brother) and the ladies.  Because of this we are all ready to party, knowing we don't have to drive to some random park to sleep.

Yes, we party until very late night.  Yes, many people were a bit hung the next morning. Three of us head for a big traditional breakfast.  This makes up feel great and ready to do it all again.  So we head to Rooster Rock again where we all score a good 2-3 hr session.  I was on my 8m the entire time.

Totally rad.

Sorry, no picks as I forgot my camera..... but there it is.  stay tuned for part 3... Clayton beach. Yes, I do have a few pics..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment