Tuesday, February 23, 2010

La Ventana - Day 6 (recap) Sat -big kites, super burro, and Oh what a night

What a great way to wake up!  This was the view out the door aound 10am...


In the mornings in La Ventana the waters are always calm and there is very little wind.  It is not uncommon to see an occasional sail boat, kayak, or SUPs enjoying the water.  I even saw a woman doing yoga on a SUP (stand up paddle board).  Some people even train their dogs to ride the SUPs with them.  The key is to teach your dog to chill, hold still, and not move around on the board...in other words the dog has to help keep balance so that you do not take a unexpected dive.

Here is a video of our friend Kynan as he takes a morning SUP ride.  You can really see how calm the water is in the morning.



So it is Saturday, the wind picks up,  but not much.  It's pretty light out today.  Everyone ends up pumping up their 14m, 15m, and 16m kites.  I drag my toes to see if it picks up, but eventually I give in and pump up my Naish Raven 16m.
                                          
the orange, brown, black and white kite on the ground

Everyone gets some good riding in today, even though it is just doable wind-wise. Becky also has a great day.  She takes some lessons from an instructor at Baja Joe's named Kristeen.  They use helmets with walkie talkies built into them so the instructor can give constant feedback to the student.  Becky ends up figuring out the skill of body dragging upwind.  Now she can feel confident, that most of the time when she looses the board, she will be able to get it back by herself.  Today was a good day for her.


                           
my kite dead center as I head out: pic by Duncan

I have a couple decent mini downwinders from the camp grounds.  I also jump a few more times.  One time I carve upwind too fast, catch an edge, turn the kite back to 12 O'clock real fast.......and almost do an accidental back roll....but I don't land it.  I wipe out!

Anyways, Becky does finally catch a picture of me as I ride by Casa Verde towards the very end of the day.  Not long after this I dump the kite after a spill, leading edge down...the kite is not wanting to come up in the light wind, so I pull the 5th line to flip the kite on her back so that I can get the kite turned and relaunched.  I pull the 5th line too much, because when I let it go the kite rolls over its 5th line. 

Now I am screwed. I get it to the edge of the shore-side of the wind window and the kite drags me in.  A kiter on the beach grabs my kite.  I come in and wind things up, and pack my kite back to Casa Verde.  The day is done...the wind is pretty much gone now anyways.  All in all though, a pretty good day for everyone. Even me.



After kiting ends, Becky goes out and enjoys the water, floating around for fun.


                           

I have some more exciting news from the day...although not as exciting as a good day of riding!  But Becky and I moved into Casa Elena today.  I actually moved all of our stuff by myself because Becky was at her lesson this morning.  Casa Elena is way cool though because it has its own 2nd story open kitchen, as well as a huge room with a big private bathroom.  Nice.

                             







Anyways, after riding both Becky and I take a shower and get ready for the evening.  We end up heading to a local little roadside kitchen that everyone raves about.  Here is a picture of their menu.



menu at sidewalk kitchen

picture of the kitchen....

And I can attest, the "super burro" we ordered was amazing.  It was 40 pesos ($3.30 equivalent), a huge burrito like something your would get from Gorditos in Seattle, and it tasted like heaven after a good day of kiting in the sun and water all day. No one got sick all week eating at any of the roadside kitchens.  The food is very trustworthy in La Ventana at all the restaurants. And Anthony Bourdain is correct, some of the best food comes from small roadside kitchens and grills.

John and Andy finish up their Super Burro

When the burrito is finshed we decide to head to Pablo's, (a local restaurant that serves a huge, tang and lime margarita that are amazing...believe it or not), to get ourselves one of these huge margaritas. 

When we get there a whole crew of pskiters are already there.  Scotty, Duncan, Amy, Brent, Heather, Sanji, and Scotty's good friend from Los Angelas, Martin.  (Martin is originally from Peru. When he finds out Becky has been to Lima to DJ, they hit it off.)  Martin proceeds to buy everyone around the table many tequila shots. 

He also tells a ton of funny stories about the old days of knowing Scotty.  Here is a picture of him in the middle of telling one such story.



Then a cool lady from France that has befriended the Seattle crew shows up.  She has been nick-named "Frenchy" by the Seattle crew by this point in the week.  


Ryan and Sanji --- and tequila

The party steps it up a notch.  She starts to get us riled up and riles herself up after a few shots from Martin.  Meanwhile he keeps feeding us all more shots of tequila.

group shot after some...shots

"Frenchy" gets wild and riled up with gummy bears up her nose.

Next we head to the bar portion of Pablo's fine establishment.  It gets even crazier with more shots of tequila, and mucho dancing!!! 

Even funnier, Martin keeps buying Becky more and more tequila shots.  I think I may have helped Becky finish off a few...but Martin didn't know that.  He just thought Becky was a tequila drinking machine.


the party heats up with Frechy dancing on a table, and of course more shots

We are all laughing when Duncan and Scotty make up a dance called the kiteboarder.  It's got all the moves, the sheet in sheet out, the backroll, the Railey, the dangle pass.  Here they are doing it...

not sure what kite move this is...


Brent even drops the running man


good times had by all

Everyone gets wild and crazy...it's Martin, Mike, Heather, and Sanji's last night, so all four of them get down!

After Pablo's practically has to kick us out around 1:00am, we head back to Casa Verde.  A few of us head to the beach and restoke a fire beach fire the others had going earlier.  It keeps us occupied on the beach for another hour, before we all head to bed. 

Oh, what a night!!!!

1 comment:

  1. pictures are amazing! looks like fun and beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete