Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Kitemare...well sort of!

Back to report in for the weekend. 

Friday I had a pretty epic session at Jetty Island on my 14m Naish Raven II.   I did have one mishap when I accidently unhooked during a jump.  When I crash landed I didn't know to let go of the bar and grab the chicken loop...instead I just held on and eventually backstalled my kite.  I then proceeded to roll it over the 5th line, which means I was pretty much F'd in the A and had to float my way back in.  My buddy Kynan saw me in trouble and came to the rescue grabbing my board and following me in.  After fixing my lines on the beach, Kynan helped me relaunch.  I had drifted at least 3/4 of a mile downwind from the main kiting area.  So, the epic part is that we took off and after about 20 min I had rode all the way back upwind to everyone else.  Pretty stoked on that.

Saturday I went to Belllingham to DJ the new store opening of Bellingham Kiteboarding's new store in the B-ham marina.  I can not say enough about these guys!!!!!  The owner, Andy, is one of the most sincere guys in the kiting industry.  If you can, buy from them.  They will seriously go the extra mile to make you happy and do what is best for you and your riding level.
http://www.bellinghamkiteboarding.com/

Sunday Becky and I both headed back to Jetty Island....and here is where the kitemare begins. 

After arriving there with what had earlier been 10m conditions, the wind had died quite a bit.  So I pumped up my 14m to about 5-6 psi.  When I was walking back with the bar to rig up minutes later, and when I was still 30ft away....BANG...my leading edge blows out....roughly 3 + ft worth.

I was totaly bummed.  Maybe the kite was defective or maybe rolling it over the 5th line damaged the bladder.......regardless it totally blew...and not in a good way like the wind!

Had I not just got a new kite on Saturday from Andy at BKB , a new 2009 Slingshot 10m RPM, I would have been devistated.  Anyways, having a new kite to try out, because the wind did pick back up, made the day bearable.  And yes, I loved the feel of my 10m RPM.  I can not wait to tear it up on it in Cabarete!!!!

So yeah, completely sucks....and now I am in the market for a new 13m-14m kite......any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment