Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cabarete - Day 4 (recap)

Finally we wake up to a typical Cabarete day...blue sky, warm waters that are not extreme with crazy storm swell...YAY!   Becky is excited as she is feeling like the conditions match her skill level now that the storm winds and swell have passed the island.  Her and I decide to head down to kite beach and ride from there.  Daniel decides to meet us later in the day by downwinding it from Bozo beach.

I pack Becky's gear down the beach for her...mine is already in a locker at F10.  Here I am with today's outfit, with both Becky's kites strapped to my back.

today's pimpin threads....Yes, this is today's outfit pic that I know you were waiting anxiously to see. ;)

By the time we arrive the wind is picking up, although it is still pretty light.  Most of the kites on the water are 13m-14m kites, but I decide to be optimistic and pump up my 10m...counting on good ol'faithful Cabarete winds to build as the afternoon progresses.


kite beach, Cabarete - day 4

Because it is so lite, my first few runs put me downwind...which require a small walk back up the beach.  Not that I mind, it is just great to be on the water!



It doesn't take too long until the wind is ripping.  I am lit out of my mind on my 10m.  Out near the reef it is rad hitting the flat water between the waves as the roll in...I ride for a good 2 hrs by myself.....then.....
Whoop whoop...here come Daniel Stoner joining me.

Another hour or two passes with the two of us tearing it up, fully lit, depowered even....we are both on our 10m kites, but there are 7m and 8m kites all around us at this point.

I finally decide to head in and take a break.  I know Daniel is running out of days here and that he really wants some pictures of him riding so I grab Becky's new waterproof camera and head out in the surf, treading water, to get pictures.

Of course, once the camera is in the water, all the camera hogs come out to play, so soon it becomes a bit more difficult for Daniel to get in close.  Not that it stops me from grabbing some cool shots of him.  I also get shots of Robinson, the local F-One team rider.

Daniel showing off boosting....

fail.....

watch this.....
as Daniel jumps near shore and put innocent people in danger.... heh heh heh



Pictures of Robinson: local Cabarete F-One team rider





While I am out taking picture, Alberto, the local kid who has taken to helping Becky and I setup and put away out kites each day for about $2 a day, decides to swim out and join me.  He is a really cute kid who is super helpful.  It pretty much kicks ass having a 14 year old kid pump up and then put away our gear for us everyday.  We befriend him and for the most part feed him every day as well.


After a long hard session...Oh, and I forgot to mention that Becky did great today.  Issac, my old instructor, spent time with her and said she was even making it upwind.... "there is nothing more I can teach her" he said, "from now on it's just time on the water." Becky was very glad to hear this....anyways, the three of us (Becky, Daniel, and I) catch a moto back up to Viva Tangerine.

It is pretty much dinner time when we get there...so we all head to our rooms for a quick shower and change.  Of course I always beat Becky...so I do my thing and head to the bar for a drink or two while I am waiting....and as usual Parker and Delany are waiting for us / me.  They join me at the bar, sherlie temples in hand.

There is an amazing glass blower artist doing art near the dining hall and Parker is obsessed with a glass blown Tarantula.  He is doing his best to talk Daniel into seeing that he "really really really could use a glass Tarantula".  Needless to say his dad, Daniel, doesn't see it his way...but being the "cool" guy I am when Becky gets to the bar I decide to go over and get him his glass spider....Parker also get a lesson is driving a hard bargain as $11 is what I pay...$15 is what they wanted. 

Parker happily shows off his glass Tarantula....Daniel is truly scared ;)

Delany is done up like a cat...leftovers from kids club.
Hear me roar!!!! meow.....

We also get to enjoy a local band playing near the bar.  The kids think that they just keep playing the same song over and over....funny! I'll let you decide....



Before we all head to the dining hall for dinner, we decide to get a few picture of us all.  Here is a great one of Anne and Daniel. 


And another great one of Delany and Becky.


It goes without saying that Parker was going to make the picture difficult...so here is what we got.


But needless to say, him and I are buds...even if he won't pose for a picture with me.

1 comment:

  1. wow, you guys be wind rockn it!!! Miss you guys. - AJ

    ReplyDelete