Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Puerto Rico trip (day 3)

Hello again...back to the recap.

As I mention, Sean and I walked shirtless during the sunset last night.  When Sean walks out of his bedroom this morning I just couldn't help feeling sorry for him.  3rd degree burns and all.  Here is Becky in the picture to give you a sample of white to go with that red.


Burned to a crisp as he was, he was still able to get up and make us this gourmet breakfast of French Toast w/ a reduced Banana Rum topping and a side of berry yogurt (which also works as a great topping!).

breakfast...mmmmm

After breakfast I keep eyeing the conditions, as today the sky is clear as a bell and I am pretty positive the wind will be epic smooth 10m conditions around noon...however, I start to get pressured to take the day off riding, and instead head to Old San Juan to do some sight seeing.  While it goes through my mind to just let them go without me, and I stay behind to ride, I instead eventually let myself ditch riding for the day and instead focus on being a good sport and heading out with Becky and Sean to see the city.

We head to Isla Verde Ave to catch a buss to Old San Juan.  Let me tell you another thing about Puerto Rico.  They have a great buss system, just do not expect it to come on time...in fact, just plan on waiting around watching every buss but the one you want to come through the buss stop multiple time before the buss you need gets there.  So, after a 45 minuter wait.....we board. So now, plan on packing in like sardines, because I have never seen so many people packed onto a buss at once.  Thank god for A.C.!!!!

Becky takes a seat next to another gal, as Sean and I slowly get pushed to the back of the buss.  Once we arrive in Old San Juan, about 1 hr later,  we decide to help Eliza (the gal sitting next to Becky) get checked into her lodging so that she can join us in our sight seeing.

After walking for a few minutes we arrive at her place.



We are all hungry, so once she comes down from checking in we decide to look for lunch.  We decide to head back into her place to ask the hotel owner where a good local spot is.  We grab this panaramic pic of the bay of Old San Juan from the top floor.




So, after a short 10 minute walk, we arrive at the suggested local spot rumored to serve the best Mofongo, which is the local plantain or yuca root side dish.  The place is very cute, bright, local feeling joint that also had excellent service.





After a fantastic lunch we wander Old San Juan and visit several of the old military forts which were built in the late 1700's.









I almost caught this guy....



We could actually see blue fish swimming around in this pool...





Next we decide to keep walking through Old San Juan...to another fort at the northern tip of Puerto Rico.  At a local park I channel my inner Ace Ventura....


Jesus going strong in Puerto Rico since 1968....











And thus ends our tour of Old San Juan.  Mucho fun to be had by all.

We catch a 7:30pm buss back to Isla Verde, which is good because they only run until 8pm.

Once back, I can tell you honestly I am bummed....why?

Because it is pitch black out but still blowing 10m, which it had done most of the day.  Perfect trade wind + thermal = 10m winds......And I missed it.  I am almost sick to my stomach...but I am hoping that I will get the goods tomorrow.

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment