Monday, January 18, 2010

The 5 year plan...

So, in order for this "blog" to have some direction, I guess it only fits that early on I tell you of our goals and dreams...aka. where we want to be in 10 years.
Then this blog at least starts out with some sort of concrete finish line or direction. From there it no longer becomes all about holding the trophey up at the finish line...but more about the journey we take and where we are relative to the goal.

The Goal:
(note- I am holding nothing back on this. I am trying to be realistic, and yet at the same time I am not holding back anything that hard work and dedication can manifest. These are my heart's desires)

1) Get IKO certified to teach the sport of kiteboarding
2) Travel with my wife to a few of the Mecca's of kiteboarding and get some hours in as a instructors
3) If all goes smoothly, move to an island and start a kiteboarding business
4) Offer beginner lessons and excursions to tourists in a all-inclusive bed and breakfast style.
5) Build the business to the point of hiring employees (multi-lingual instructors)
6) Open a bar and restaurant affiliated with the kiteboading business
7) Repeat in another paradise location

This is the journey I am embarking on with my lovely wife. I am 34 years old in 3 days..whew...holy sh*t.... time is flying. Time for action.

Where am I at in then process?

Well, it is January 2010... this last June my wife and I went to Cabarete in the Dominican Republic. We took about 4-5 days of lessons. Then, every chance I got this summer afterwards I hit the water with the kite. August and Sept didn't give us as many days kiting as I would have liked. But at the end of summer I am staying upwind and doing slide transitions.

Then fall and winter came...so did wicked fast punchy gusty winds that kicked my ass. You can only take so many freezing (or just under) waves in the face before the energy is sapped and it's time to head back to the shore.

So regardless, right now I am stoked! Becky and I are heading in 13 days to La Ventana in Mexico. A winter kiteboarding Mecca on the Sea of Cortez in Baja. We will be there from Feb 1st to the 10th.
Ten straight days of kiteboarding.
Ten straight days of seeing if we can be ready by this July to become kiteboarding instructors.
That's the plan at least, to return to Cabarete this July and get IKO certified as kiteboarding instructors.
Until then I plan to blog each trip to paradise to build the needed skills, and to blog each step we take to get closer to our dreams.

In 13 days we embark on the first leg of our journey. The journey of the wind rockers...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Theory, this is Globekiter! I like your dreams and plans and your idea to blog your progress. Good stuff! I am keeping those dreams in the back of my mind also. Actually your plans sound very similar to what I am dreaming about. After traveling to kite for 2 years and getting IKO certified, I am back in the "rat race" for a little while getting the funds back up to where they should be. Then we'll see where the road goes. Let's chat when we are down in La Ventana. I wear a bright orange shirt and I fly Naish. C u you the water brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to tell you guys to go to Cabarete. But youve been there done that? Amazing water and weather...most of the time (Haiti ;/)

    ReplyDelete