Thursday, January 21, 2010

speargun has arrived


Well, I am stoked!  My 24in AB Miller speargun arrived yesterday.  Today my extra 5/8in bands arrive too.  I am ready to hit the water and start hunting reef fish and collecting shellfish to eat!  Yummy....



I found out from one of the guys that lives there, Glen10 (a virtual celebrity in La Ventana), that a lot fo the spear fishing there is done at night so I ordered a flash light for diving.  Not just any flash light but a Princeton Tec Torrent Xenon 8AA Dive Light  which puts off 115 lumens of light with a tight pattern.  This means, according to the manufacturers website that it can travel 95 meters under water.





Check out the picture below, it shows the light pattern, spread, and distance the light will travel underwater.





So yeah, I am going to light those babies up!  The fish I guess get more docile and easier to spear when it is dark out.  I think they are sleeping.  Bummer for them I guess, but good for out tummies.

Here is a map that shows the basic layout of Ventana Bay, the Isla Cerralvo, and the various species of fish and where they are located.

Here is a full list of the fish species in the Sea of Cortez with links to pictures.

Ever wonder what the rules are for spearfishing?

  • Spear fishing by free diving only...Absolutely no SCUBA

  • Scuba equipment must not be on a spear fishing boat

  • Must have a Mexican fishing license for every one on the boat

  • Only Rubber powered guns or slings

  • No Pneumatic powered, cartridge powered or Co2 powered spear guns.

  • No power heads.

  • No rifle or pistol ammunition.
Here is a video of some spearfishing in La Ventana.


On a side note, today I turned 34.  So, it was cool to get all my spearfishing stuff in...new toys to celebrate being as old as dirt :)  I already have a mask and snorkel as well as dive fins so I am ready to hit the water!


My coworker brought me in 2 cases of blue lo-carb Monster energy drink for my birthday. (Mark is a pimp and got me into kiteboarding) And if you know me you know I live on that stuff.  Which reminds me, when we get to Mexico we are stopping at Walmart and getting 5 cases or more to take with us. 


When am I going to get sponsered I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment